Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mulan & Cinderella

My son decided to watch Mulan this morning. It is one of my favorite Disney movies, and one I can watch over and over, so I sat with him while I ate breakfast this morning.

It struck me, as Mulan is preparing to meet the matchmaker in the movie, what a difference there is in this Chinese "cinderella story" and the European one.

I know, I know... before you jump on me for taking a Disney movie literally, that Disney's movies are LOOSELY based on the traditional stories. I get that.

But even loosely, it's interesting how this Chinese cinderella story is about a young woman that joins the military to fight in place of her father, and becomes famous for coming up with the strategy that ultimately saves China. Whereas, the European cinderella is a scullery maid who gets "discovered" by the prince, and is whisked off to live happily ever after as a princess.

Hmmm...

(Of course, the Disney version of Mulan gets the strong, beautiful man at the end, and therefore enjoys the best of both worlds.)

What strikes me the most about these stories is that China, who is notorious for devaluing women, and even the Disney movie points out that the only way for a woman to bring honor to China is to find a husband and make boy babies, produces this amazing story about a woman that proves her worth as a strong, thinking individual. Yet we, who go on and on about women's rights, and equal this and equal that, still want to believe that to be whisked away by a knight in shining armor, to be spoiled and loved, never to work again is our ultimate fairy tale.

I can understand why young girls might be confused. It seems that we profess one thing, but believe another.

4 comments:

Cap'n Happy said...

I'm not sure how much of the Mulan story as told by Disney is representative of Chinese culture as opposed to Disney's response to criticism of the way it's older animated features portrayed women. I think the Chinese view of the value of women is pretty well illustrated by their willingness to discard female newborns or dump them at orphanages where they might be adopted by folks of European ancestry (like Americans).

Reina said...

That was exactly my point! Everyone knows how the Chinese value their women. So why would their "cinderella story" as defined by the fairy tale that girls may best relate (aspire?) to, be of a strong, intelligent young woman, while our "cinderella story" is about being rescued from the scullery to live happily ever after being taken care of by her prince...

I understand that Disney does not portray their stories as accurately as the original tale, but the Disney story of Mulan IS based on a Chinese story. It is not something they made up.

Anonymous said...

Love this blog... I was brought up believing I'd meet my Chuck Norris or prince charming and he would take care of me...

Would like to bring up my daughter a little wiser so she is a strong individual who knows she does not need to depend on a man. Got to get in the kid's minds early with the truth about how life really is.

I am 27 and have been raising my children on my own for 6 years, whilst working and studying and bought us our home about 3 years ago. So proud of the fact I had no help at all from a man.

Is hard to have the best of both worlds, but I will continue to try and get there.

Will be following your blogs, have a beautiful day ;)

Reina said...

Thank you, Melonhead. I admire your tenacity to not only be a single mother but to do it WHILE working and going to school.

It makes me sad that we basically set up our girls (unwittingly) for disappointment by letting them (me) believe in the fairy tale. It's a fairy tale, which by definition means unlikely to be true.

My ramblings here are disjointed and random. I hope you find something interesting. Thank you for commenting!