Friday, December 3, 2010

The Lovely Bones

There is a scene in The Lovely Bones (the book, I didn't see the movie) where the dead girl watches her mother make out with the homicide detective assigned to her case.  The dead girl had been the oldest and was 12 when she was murdered.  Watching her mother she realizes something that she had vaguely felt when she was living; that being a mother was a mask her mother put on when the first child woke up in the morning.

She knew her mother had been keeping time until the kids where grown and she could start her own life.  When her mother unexpectedly got pregnant again when the girls were half grown, it was like getting punched in the stomach.  She watched her mother deflate, and resign herself to THIS life.

About a year after her daughter's murder, tired of being the "dead girl's" mother, she ran away and started a new life, an anonymous life, somewhere else where she only had to take care of herself.  Where she was just Ruth, and not Carl's wife, or Laura's mother.  (All those names are made up because I can't remember the names in the book!)

I know there are plenty of people who would condemn her for that.  Who would think it was utterly selfish and she had no right to leave her family like that.

But I wonder how many women have watched their lives slip away like water while they are being a mother because it was expected of them.  It was just what you do because you're a woman, and your life can't be complete without it.  I wonder how many women wish they could run away, but are duty-bound to be the mom, the wife, the caretaker.  I wonder how many women strain against the routine of getting them up, getting them dressed, making their breakfast, making their lunch, getting them to school, cleaning the house, doing the grocery shopping, picking them up from school, making their snack, helping with homework, making dinner, getting them bathed, reading the bedtime story, putting them to bed, cleaning up from dinner, falling into bed.  Rinse and repeat.  Who dare not complain, or speak her dreams aloud for fear of being thought of as a bad mom, or ungrateful.

Granted, this book was set 40 years ago, and there are hopefully fewer instances now.  Although for some, I'm sure there is most of that squeezed around a full-time job.

And yes, I know there are many women who are fulfilled by motherhood, that WOULDN'T be complete without that experience. Who have waited all their lives for that moment of giving birth to that helpless little being who depends completely on her and is hers to shape and love.  Those women have the special gift of sacrifice that comes with devoting their life to the nurturing of little ones.  These are special and necessary, and god bless them.

I'm not talking about them.

I'm just wondering how prevalent the feeling is.  I was surprised to see it in the book.  I was surprised that anyone would admit those feelings exist, even in a fiction novel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Reina, thank you for coming back on. I thought I'd spend the rest of my life checking your blog for nought. You write very well. All writing from the heart is effective. Tell me little one, is that you trapped in motherhood? Is that what happened to your mother? The world is covered with people having to live with the consequences of bad decisions. Should they run, how many children would that leave broken hearted, devastated, rejected? Most children who are hurt like that never recover. They go on to do it to their own someday. Someone will have to sacrifice themselves to stop the chain of crime against children, women, and yes, men. Love you, Frank

Reina said...

Ah, Frank! I'm so happy you are so loyal!

I did relate to that story in some ways. I never wanted to have children, and probably shouldn't have. But I made the decision, and I'll honor my commitment.

I think my mother did feel this way. As I get older, I understand her in odd moments.

I guess the intent of the writing was that it bothers me that there were/are expectations set on people based on gender. This is one close to my heart, but there are many more for both genders that aren't fair or right.

It surprised me to see it acknowledged in print.

momof4boys said...

Hi Reina,
I got your message on my blog about the motorcycle spokes and splatters of paint trailing behind. I didn't use any masking tape for that. I simply painted in the spokes and took a tooth brush and dipped it in paint and with my thumb I flipped the bristles towards the wall and it splattered just the way I wanted it to. Fun eh!?
I still read your blog too, regularly when there is something to read. I enjoy your writing very much.
Julie

Reina said...

Wow Julie! Thanks! I guess I should write more. Sometimes life gets in the way. I realize I miss writing when I haven't for a while, but that doesn't mean I necessarily have something to say!

Where did Angie's blog go? The last entry in Harmony Hollow is October, but I know she writes more than that!

Your artistic talent blows me away. And not just what you can do, but what you can IMAGINE! Totally cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi Reina, I love your writing and your honesty. Angie's new blog is called . She writes more than anyone else. Frank