Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Graduation Party!

I had such a great weekend.

Friday evening was my graduation.  I know many people don't actually participate in the ceremony because it doesn't mean anything, the actual degree is the paper that says you completed all the coursework.  But for me, the ceremony IS the defining moment.  It's like a wedding.  You can get married without that, it is the piece of paper that says you're married, but it's the wedding that you remember as the starting point.  No matter how long you were together before that date.

Walking across that stage (or in this case, in front of it) in front of all those people, says "I did it" in my mind.  It was the ultimate achievement.  All that work, all that writing, was just so I could stand in front of the crowd and get that funky thing draped over my neck and down my back.

It meant a lot to me that my sister, her husband, my husband and son, were there to see that happen.  Graduations are boring, but walking in that line, I couldn't stop grinning!  I still can't when I think about it.  It feels good to have finished, even though I have no idea what, if anything, the degree will do for me.

Saturday I had a party to celebrate with all my friends and family.  It was a lot of work to get ready for, and after the garbage disposal thing, I was ready to cancel the whole thing.  My husband talked me out of it, and when a couple of my friends found out about my frustration, they stepped in to help make it happen.  I am so grateful, and the party was a success.  It wouldn't have happened without them.

My husband is good at making me define what needs to be done in writing, then he can help with the items on the list.  My sister came and helped with the shopping, my husband and a friend were there early to clean, and another couple of friends came early to cook.  There is no way it would have all gotten done on my own!  Thank you!!

I was also overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up.  Almost my entire bible study group showed up, even though they all have busy lives and huge families.  All of my long-time clients came, even some who are no longer clients but are still friends, to celebrate with me.  My sister and her husband and mother-in-law.  My husband's family.  Even Jill and Pam, who live an hour and a half away.  I am truly blessed to have so many people that care about me.  Thank you all!!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'm glad to hear your week from utter hell got better :)The party was awesome, I'm glad to have helped facilitate it!