Saturday, May 16, 2009

Words...

As I woke up this morning, in that space where my mind has kicked in and started churning the things that need doing today, but before my eyes can open, I was thinking about words. Well, I was thinking about the little girl's birthday party we're going to this morning and the fact that I always gift books. And somehow it jumped from that to adult illiteracy!

I was wondering what it would be like to live in a world excluded from words, and how that would affect every part of life. I'm sure illiteracy isn't as big of a problem in this country as it is in others (I'm speculating), but I know it still exists here, because I've seen commercials on the subject.

Think what that would be like! I couldn't write my thoughts to you, and you couldn't read them. I wouldn't be able to check out your doings in Facebook or blogs (oh my!). I couldn't read the newspaper, or read street signs while driving. I couldn't read nutrition labels, or warning labels, or instructions.

Imagine how that would put me at the mercy of those around me. Could I hold a job if I couldn't fill out an application or sign an employment contract? Not being able to read contracts, would I be scammed at every turn?

And how would I pay bills?

I'm sure there are so many other ways I would be affected that I can't even fathom. I know it would be possible to get through life without knowing how to read. It could even be possible to hide the fact that I couldn't. But what a lonely and isolated space to live!

My son is finally showing interest in learning to read. Last year's kindergarten experience probably set him back quite a bit in this area, and I've tried hard not to push him. He's almost seven. By the time I was his age I was firmly and completely lost in the world of words. He is surrounded by books in this house. I have bookshelves stuffed everywhere, and most of them are overflowing. And that doesn't even count the books I read and trade on paperbackswap, those books are kept in boxes.

He watches me chat with friends online. And he's especially interested when I'm chatting with his dad or grandma. He wants to type to them too, and I like watching him try to figure out how words should be spelled. I don't usually correct him because I don't want to color his experience with negativity, but it's interesting to me that he can read a word well, but turn around and write it completely different. It's interesting how those two things don't seem to connect in his brain.

I wonder what it would be like to not be given this opportunity to explore words. How do you get to adulthood without knowing how to read? Does it require ignoring everything in school, or is it from not attending school at all?

Words are such a consuming part of my life, I wonder what it would be like without them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys are not interested in reading as early as are girls. He'll pick it up. The trick is to read to him. Read to him morning and evening. Read to him from stories that highlight the kind of person you want him to become. Those stories will mold his character. That's a huge responsibility. Chose carefully. Frank

momof4boys said...

My oldest son is almost 10 and only now starting to pick up books and read on his own. Still, I've noticed that they are all small books and he still counts all the pages before he starts. My youngest son(6 1/2 yrs.) has asked me to teach him to read too but I haven't yet as I can tell he is not really into it. He only asks when he sees that there might be some monetary gain. I have a big basket full of plastic Easter eggs in which I have put prizes and treats (bribes) and when my kids have read a book and did their math lessons then they can have one. He would really like to be able to have 5 a day and realizes that reading would help him along in that quest but I'm not ready to force him to read yet.
So be it. Boys are a lot slower at learning this kind of thing generally!

Wayward Son said...

Reina, I've been saving this post in my reader because it looked interesting and I wanted to give some time to it. Sorry it's taken awhile to comment here.

I wanted to share briefly about my son, because there are some similarities in our experience. I was teaching myself to read by the time I was in Kindergarten. My son, not so much. Struggled all through his schooling to read, and writing was even more difficult. For a long time we thought it was just laziness, that he wasn't interested, and we pushed him harder, which made matters worse. It wasn't until his early teens that we discovered he was dyslexic.

I'm not saying your son's situation is the same, and wouldn't try to project that on him from what you wrote here--but the reason I bring it up is you mentioned the disconnect he has between reading a word and writing it, because that is one of many *possible* indicators of dyslexia, though not a tell-tale sign or anything.

Your other commentors are right about boys sometimes taking their time on this (though I was an exception), and I think it's good you're not pushing him. But if he continues to be disinterested in it, or slow with it, or tends to mix up letters like "b" and "d" in both reading and writing...or if, for example, non-picture words like "and" and "the" tend to make him slow down, or read the words that come after them incorrectly...you might want to get him tested. It isn't something to fear, but if dyslexia is a factor, it changes the learning approach, and knowing it early would save you both a lot of heartache in the long run. I speak from experience. :)

BTW...my son, who until high school took up to 2 hours to write one paragraph, now writes his own film scripts and directs them. :)

Reina said...

Thank you Frank. As always, words of wisdom.

Julie - thanks for the funny story!

Jeff, thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on him.

I'm not pushing him to read. In fact, in the Waldorf school he attends, they don't actually start teaching reading until the second grade.

I'm not pushing him. I am just wondering at the difference between boys and girls, and how it would be to not understand all the thousands of words that surround him!

Thank you for responding. I really do appreciate the feedback.