Thursday, April 16, 2009

Women and Oppression...

There has been some online discussion recently about the oppression of women in the church. I wrote about my feelings on the subject in January. That post can be found here. I don't know what prompted that outburst, but it is something that rankles still. It is my opinion that much of the oppression of women in our culture originated with the early catholic church. And since the church shaped much of European tradition, it is only as we distance ourselves from christian culture that we move toward equality for women.

Again, this is my opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine too.

But interestingly, there have been a few posts recently about the same topic. The first was by Jeromy at A Mending Shift. He spoke eloquently here about a personal experience that spoke to a lot of people, judging by the comments left. It was a beautiful piece. Jeromy has a knack for truth-telling and story-telling that I enjoy.

Jonathan took up the challenge here.

Then Jeff, at Losing My Religion, spurred by Jeromy's post wrote about his own experience, and how it has affected him. This post hit closer to home with me, and I left a comment on his blog pointing him to the post I had written in January. That sparked an interest in discussion, and rather than leaving long comments back and forth, Jeff wrote a separate post in response.

I recommend reading the posts. But I say that from a position of bias.

I've been interested in this topic my whole life. Growing up, being a girl was shoved in my face at every turn. Having five brothers only made the delineation between what was "allowed" more obvious. Some of the limitations were cultural. Most were religious. When I went away to a strict boarding academy in high school, the lines were even more obvious.

Then, as I got older and got into the work force, I saw the difference in a different light. There were definite "girl" jobs and "boy" jobs. Again I chafed. I wasn't brave enough or lucky enough to choose my path while disregarding cultural norms, so I definitely wasn't one of the many laudable women who have trail-blazed new pathways through corporate america.

Many of the women mentioned in the various posts were specifically relating to being excluded from leadership in a church, but the feelings are the same.

I just want to say, I appreciate the topic being under discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where people take religion isn't necessarily where God intended it to go. The oppression of women, like any oppression is based on power. Without love, power will necessarily be self-serving. Given power, even women will become the oppressor. Temporal realities trump eternal realities to the unbelieving. Frank