Monday, July 6, 2009

Birthday Massage

Friday, June 26th, was my birthday.

One of the incredibly nice things my husband got me for my birthday was a massage with a friend who has been doing our massages for many years. Although we both had used her services regularly in the past, I haven't gotten a massage in quite a while.

It was the best massage I've ever gotten. I don't know what has changed in the intervening years, but this massage actually felt relaxing and nice, as opposed to the torture device it had been in the past. As I was groggily laying on the table, I was thinking about how good it felt, and how relaxed and quiet I was. That got me thinking about previous massages. Like I said, my masseuse is a friend of many years, and I haven't seen her in quite a long time. We should have had so much to catch up on. I should have been talking non-stop!

I thought about massages in the past where the 60 minutes seemed to fly by because we got started on an animated discussion that wasn't nearly complete by the time the massage was over. I considered the quiet and reflective place I must be in to not have anything to say, so I told her how good this massage was feeling.

She laughed. Apparently, she was contemplating the same thing as I was, but along slightly different lines! She was thinking about how still I was being and commented on the difference. When I said "animated discussion" I truly meant animated! She laughed about how she didn't have to chase my limbs around the table because I would pop up suddenly to say this or that, or fling my arms around to punctuate a point.

I couldn't help but laugh. These are the details of life that one so easily forgets! Having her remind me made me realize just how impossible it had been to get a relaxing massage when I never quieted down enough to enjoy it. I've come a long way, baby!

1 comment:

momof4boys said...

LOL!! You are so Reina!!