Sunday, July 26, 2009

Friends

Over the last few years I have acquired several really good friends. I don't know how this happened, as I've never been able to make and keep many friends. My oldest friend has been my friend for 17 years now, and that alone boggles my mind. Granted, the first 7 of those years we were a couple, but still. That counts. She's still my friend, and that amazes me.

But recently I realized that I now have several friends that I consider to be close friends. Some have been, or are, clients, and for that I am very grateful. To create a lasting friendship out of a business relationship has been very rewarding. Others are from my bible-study group, and the nature of the group has turned an unlikely group of women into an incredibly tight and trusting group of friends.

Facebook has introduced me to several new friends. Some new, and some renewing of old friendships. These have been exciting and heartwarming.

That doesn't include the friendships I've made in past jobs. These are fewer, but no less important.

I've always been good at casual flirtation, but have never really mastered the art of deep, close friendships. However, recently I received a surprising call late one night to come help a friend who was distraught. I immediately got up and went to her. I ended up staying the night, and coming home in the morning, since it was a work day. Driving home I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she'd called ME!

That thought got me thinking about all of the really good friends I have. I am truly blessed. I feel slightly guilty because I don't spend as much time as I would like with any of them, and inevitably I've fallen out of contact with some. As I scramble to keep in touch, my focus changes from one to another. I don't know how to hold everyone in my thoughts at the same time.

Making and keeping friends was a lesson I missed when I was young and moving around all of the time. We never stayed anywhere long enough to make it worth the effort. This new discovery strikes me with awe and wonder and I am truly grateful. Friendships truly add the color to a black and white life.

1 comment:

Christy said...

No matter how often we see each other, I adore you and consider you a lifelong friend :)