Monday, November 9, 2009

Children's Conversation

I love listening to the discourse of 2 and 3 year olds! They have such an exuberance about every conversation.

I have one little boy, I'll call him J, who is definitely more comfortable in the company of adults. He is very verbal with adults, freely talking about everything he did yesterday, the toys he has at home, what he's going to do later, etc, etc. However, he almost never converses with the other boys his age. Instead choosing to ask me what they are saying, or tell me what they said.

This morning, he came to ask me what M was talking about. I hadn't heard the conversation, so I called the M over to explain what he had said. Apparently he had been talking to his best friend about doing somersaults. I asked the J if he could do somersaults, and he said no. I asked him if he wanted to learn, and to have the other boys show him, which they were only too happy to do.

Then they all did somersaults for a while, with J running along behind copying what the older boys were doing.

But the funniest part of the whole thing was listening to their conversation.
M: "R! Did you see that?
R: "Yeah."
M, in a high-pitched voice: "Did you see that?"
R: "Look what I can do, M!"

There was much more interesting discourse that has since slipped my mind. It got even more interesting when the 3 year old girl jumped into the conversation. It's fun to hear the serious conversation of a 3 year old!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

think I know who R and M are. How funny, thanks for sharing.