Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm looking forward to the long weekend!

Thursday I'll be doing my annual Run to Feed the Hungry with my friend. This will be our 4th year, I think. We always do the 5k untimed walk, but it is still fun. It's crazy to see 30,000 people all crammed into a small space at the start of the race. Apparently this year they've made some changes and staggered the start time. Hopefully that will make the crush at the beginning a little easier.

It takes us about an hour to walk the 5k in the morning. This year I won't have to hurry back to make sure everything gets in the oven as we are having our Thanksgiving family meal on Friday! I thought it would be easier on the "other half" of everyone's family to have it on a separate day than to have everyone rushing from one place to another to fit in time with both families. It seems to have been a good idea, because now we'll have a bigger crowd! I'm looking forward to a more relaxed time together.

After all of that, I get a massage. Woohoo! The day after the walk, I'll probably need it. I trade massage for after-school care, and it's well worth the trade! I love trading services!

Saturday we have tickets to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra again. This is another annual tradition. It will be our sixth time, I think. We've gone every year they have come to our town to see them perform. If you're not familiar with TSO, they give an incredible Christmas concert every year. It's a Christmas story told through narration and music, the same every year, but it never gets old. They are really a talented group, and I love the story format. They make truly beautiful music. My son really loves the music. This will be his third time seeing them.

Sometime in there I'd also like to get the stripping done on the kid's playroom floor. I ripped out the carpet and am planning on leaving the concrete bare. That requires stripping off all of the glue from the carpet pad, cleaning the mess left by the builders, patching the cracks in the concrete, then sealing the whole floor. Hopefully, I'll be left with a clean and shiny concrete floor that is easy to clean and fairly mess proof.

I'm hoping this will provide a play surface that will open more possibilities for messy play without having to worry about the damage to the floors. Once the daycare is out of my home, I can always cover the concrete again with the bamboo flooring I've been eyeing!

So, that's my long weekend. What are you doing?

No comments: