Monday, December 28, 2009

Therapy

Tonight I had my therapy appointment.

Wait, let me back up.

Last week I went to see my chiropractor. He also does holistic healing using the body's messages to find the emotional core of whatever symptoms your body displays, or something along those lines. I went to him to see if he could do his voodoo on my brain and open the floodgates, so to speak.

We had a productive time. At least I thought so. He asked for 30 minutes, and I was there for an hour and a half, discussing resentments, past and present. All from some clue he got from my pancreas, or some such weird thing. Anyway, I was encouraged by that and looking forward to my appointment tonight.

So, back to tonight.

I met the therapist, and she asked me a little about the depression that I had commented about on the paperwork. I told her that it was something I've struggled with since childhood, and she asked if it was genetic. I mentioned that my mother probably had had a chemical imbalance and was either manic depressive or bi-polar. Since I referred to her in the past tense, she asked if my mother was dead. I said no.

That led to some discussion of my relationship (or lack of) with my mother. After about 15-20 minutes of that she stopped me. At this point we were about 30 minutes into the session. She stopped me and said that frankly she wasn't what I needed, and referred me to someone who specializes in EMDR and trauma treatments. She couldn't explain what EMDR was, so I'll have to let you know what it is when I find out, but she seemed to think I needed something more intense/direct/effective than just talking about my issues.

She even told me what to say to the lady she was referring me to. I wrote it down. She said "go ahead and tell her all that on her voicemail." She seemed to imply there was some urgency in getting in to see her.

Go figure. I thought I was doing pretty well, I just needed a little help with letting my emotions out. Hunh. Fired by my therapist halfway through the first session.

I'll keep you posted on the new one when I get an appointment. Now I'm curious...

Needless to say, she didn't charge me.

3 comments:

Cap'n Happy said...

I'm curious too since my last therapist fired me also.

Michael said...

"Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, or EMDR, is a powerful new psychotherapy technique which has been very successful in helping people who suffer from trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Until recently, these conditions were difficult and time-consuming to treat. EMDR is considered a breakthrough therapy because of its simplicity and the fact that it can bring quick and lasting relief for most types of emotional distress.

EMDR is the most effective and rapid method for healing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as shown by extensive scientific research studies."

Steel Curtain said...

Ditto - re: firing. But I wouldn't call it firing, too me that means we are really f'ed up, & of course we know that's not the case. Let's just say releasing that sounds so much better :-)