Monday, March 9, 2009

It's Monday...

...and although I'm not happy about that, I am thankful for a wonderful weekend.  Although I didn't get everything done on my to-do list for the weekend, I did have a very nice weekend.

Avery was grounded from watching any television or playing any video games the entire weekend.  So instead of letting him watch his shows (he only gets to watch on the weekends as it is) while I did whatever I usually do (homework, computer work, television, etc.) this is what we did:

Friday evening Avery played a very boring game of Boggle Jr., which he says he enjoyed, although the game entails spelling three or four letter words, then checking if your spelling was correct.  This seemed like something that would not interest him, since he is just learning to read, but he enjoyed the challenge, apparently.

He and I discussed moving his bedtime up from 8:00 pm to 7:30 pm, since he is no longer taking naps, but still needs the extra sleep.  He was upset about that, so we made a deal that if he avoided trouble at school (the reason for his grounding this weekend) for an entire week, we would move his bedtime back to 8:00.  We'll see how it goes.

Saturday morning he got up and played more Boggle by himself.  This is usually when he watches television, as his parents are not early risers!  He fed himself breakfast then came up to see what we were doing.  Saturday morning was our trip to the Farmer's Market for the nutrition class I mentioned, so we got up and got dressed so grandma could pick us up at 8:30.  We were there for two hours, and Avery always likes the Farmer's Market because all of the vendors give taste tests!

The trip ended rather eventfully since he mistakenly chose to sit on a red ant hill to pick a sticker out of his pants, and didn't notice them swarming up his legs until they started biting.  That was traumatic!

When we got home, I made hamburgers for lunch that were oh-so-good!  I've been craving big juicy hamburgers, and none are better than home-made, imho!

We played Monopoly Jr., then Avery and I walked to a nearby park, where he played while I read the chapter in my textbook that was on my homework list for the weekend.  My husband picked us up from there so we could go to Chicago Fire for dinner.  Yum!

Sunday morning Avery got up and took a bath!  Without my telling him to!  Granted, he didn't seem to have washed much, and was not convinced he should get back into the bath once he was out and dried, but I appreciated the initiative!  Then he worked on building Legos while I got showered and prettied up to go out.  It was Grandpa's birthday this week, and we were celebrating with a lunch on Sunday.

We left early from there to go see a local production of Snow White.  We were meeting a friend of mine, who has a six-year-old boy also, and although Avery professed NOT to like Snow White, or the dwarves, or any prince/princess movie, he sat entirely enthralled through the whole two-hour production!

My friend offered to take him back to her house so the boys could play, so I got three hours to myself.  My husband and I had daytime sex, which was fantastic, and then I made a nutritious, yet yummy dinner.  :-)

All in all it was a nice weekend.  I did squeeze in two 30-minute sessions on my Wii Fit (which is usually the extent of my exercise routine these days), but I didn't get the homework done for my Wednesday night class.  I really dislike the class, so I know I am avoiding doing it on purpose.  I also know that this is going to catch up to me soon, but ah well...  At least the Snow White production counted as work for the class, since it is a Children's Theater class!  Interestingly, the part that I dislike about the class is all the writing required.  Go figure!

4 comments:

Michael said...

I take credit for the "fantastic" part of the daytime romp.

Christy said...

That sounds like a killer weekend! Avery is such a great kid. It sounds like you had a great weekend with him. And Michael...got on his boots :)

Reina said...

It was a good weekend. Avery was very worried about being bored all weekend without tv or gameboy available, and frankly, I was worried myself about what to do with him. But I think what made it memorable was the fact that it was nice BECAUSE we didn't have the tv on. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa will be happy to know how you celebrated his birthday.... :)