Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Protecting the Spirit of Childhood

Last night I learned that I just might have a passion after all.  Well, I don't know if I'd quite call it a passion, but it comes very close.

I met with my instructor to talk about choosing a topic on which to base my master's thesis.  I was somewhat depressed about this process, because the program is for a master's in education, with an emphasis on art in education.  Being neither an artist, nor a teacher, I was at a loss when it came to the constant discussion of incorporating art in the classroom, although I have been convinced of its importance.  That still left me with no relevant ideas for my final project.

In an effort to narrow down possibilities for my thesis, we talked about what I do for a living, and why.  I explained that although I'm good at what I do, this is my business, I did not get into it because of an overwhelming love for raising other people's kids.  I do, however, want to give these kids an opportunity to be kids.  

I realized that I believe in protecting the spirit of childhood (to steal a phrase from Waldorf), which is not the same, and may actually be the opposite of, protecting children.

What do our children need to become whole, healthy, empathetic, productive adults?  Is it really in their best interest to protect them from everything that might cause harm?

By not letting our children climb trees for fear of the chance that they may fall and break a bone, we are stealing from them an experience they deserve.  What if by protecting them from this experience we are inadvertently teaching them to keep their feet firmly planted on the ground, and to never reach for the stars?  By denying them the thrill of climbing high, of achieving greatness in this small thing, we could be forever crippling them from attempting to achieve greatness in the future.

By helping our children achieve success at every task, in order to save their feelings from hurt, we are denying them a valuable lesson.  Does not failure teach us to try harder?  By never putting our children in a situation where they have to try and try again to achieve success, we are robbing them of the feeling of triumph that will motivate them towards success in their future.  We could very well be disabling our children into not being able to succeed without help.  What happens when we aren't around?  What happens when they become young adults, and this safety net is withdrawn?

By protecting them from seeing poverty, we are missing an opportunity to teach empathy for those less fortunate.

By giving them everything they ask for, we are teaching them that they can forever have whatever they want, when they want it.  Are we then cultivating the sense of entitlement that got us into the economic bind we are currently struggling with?

By forcing onto them our cultural taboos about sex and the body, in an attempt to protect them from predators, or teen pregnancy, or STD's, we are denying our children an opportunity to see their bodies in the beautiful way they were created.  What if our culture created this harmful environment of predators and sex offenders by shaming our children into denying their sexual nature, and thus forcing them to prey on the helpless or weak in order to satisfy their need?  By focusing on the danger, we miss the opportunity to teach our children the beauty of the body, the appropriate time and place to explore their bodies, and instead leave them with feelings of guilt, or shame, when they do have sex.  What if we are driving them to give their bodies away earlier and earlier in an attempt to find out what all the fuss is about?

Life is about risk.  Sometimes, only by risking much do we achieve much.  If we constantly shield our children from risk, are we losing a valuable teaching opportunity?

No comments: