Wednesday, February 4, 2009

End of Month Madness

January flew by.

January means tax time, and is usually spent in frenzied activity to get all of my information together in one place, catch up my bookkeeping that generally falls woefully behind around mid-year, and basically do everything but fill out my tax forms.  When I started 5 years ago, I would buy the tax workbook created specifically for my business, and go through every page, gathering and recording each bit of information.  I would begin this process in late November and work on it almost every evening until the end of January.

As I got better about knowing what information I needed to gather, I would start a little later and be a little more prepared throughout the year, until January became the mad-dash month to finish.

This year I didn't buy the tax workbook, since I figured I'd been through it enough times to know what needed doing.  Plus, I'd actually kept up with my bookkeeping throughout the year, and only had to do the year-end journal entries to be up to date.

I did my mileage report, my meal allowance numbers, the journal entries to claim the percentage of the home expenses, yet I feel like I'm missing something!  I was finished before the end of the month, and I actually did more prep work this year than last.  This makes me nervous!

After all of that, I let my daily food program entries pile up until I had to do them all yesterday to get them in before the deadline.

Sheesh.  With all of that paperwork in a month, I have a headache!

No comments: