Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Facebook

I went to lunch with a friend last week who convinced me to give Facebook a try.  I already have a myspace page, and I honestly can't stand myspace, so I didn't feel the need to get yet another social networking thing going.  However, I told him I'd try it so I could check out his page.

Yesterday, I finally signed up.  Before I could even figure out how to find him, another friend I haven't seen in years added me as a friend!  How do you people do this?  How could he have found me within minutes of signing up?  Ok, that was beside the point!

I found Russell, and added him as a friend.  He sent me some weird games I couldn't understand, and will have to come help me set up my page to get the most advantage from it.  

However, during the signup process, Facebook asked me where I graduated from school.  It didn't have the obscure high school I actually graduated from, but it gave me the idea to look for the OTHER obscure school I went to during high school.  This was a boarding academy in British Columbia where I spent a year and a half.  Without doubt the best year of my life.  I've often thought about the friends I made there, and where they are now, but a few feeble attempts at searching them down turned up nothing.

Several years ago one of the guys I went to school with found me and we exchanged e-mail for a little while before drifting away again, but that was the extent of my contact.

So I looked up the name of the school, and voila! so many faces and names!  People I thought to never see or hear from again, all in one virtual place.  Many of them have blogs, so I've been able to get a glimpse into their lives.  One even wrote an article about our disastrous camping trip that year! (http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/408266/Beginners-Luck.html) This made me laugh like a schoolgirl!

I've been laughing out loud for no apparent reason all morning because of this!  It's been amazing!  I LOVE Facebook!

6 comments:

Michael said...

I thought the year you met me was the best of your life?

Anonymous said...

Geez Reina, that story was maybe funny in a way, I can see why it makes you laugh, but reading it was sort of nauseating! When he got to the part about the 2 girls starting at the top and not stopping at the flat spot, somehow I knew one of them had to be you! Makes me cringe to think of that happening to you....It is great to reconnect with people isn't it?

Sue

Anonymous said...

Your laugh has been missed for many years, I could never forget your wonderful laugh.

Anonymous said...

The best years of your life were at Fountainview. Wow! Poor girl, you should have come to Africa with us all. You would have had a blast. I remember your laugh with great fondness also, and Tony Chamber, the smartest kid in school Frank F.

Reina said...

Considering the year that followed, I would gladly have accompanied you to Africa!

Breanna said...

stop by my blog i have something for you. http://breannaanddave.blogspot.com/2009/02/you-really-love-me.html