Friday, February 20, 2009

Success

The more I read about people who have succeeded in business, or in life, the more I know that it is not what you know, but who you know, that matters.

There have been success stories of people starting with nothing, and from nothing, and clawing their way to success with only their ambition to drive them.  However, most of these individuals, when they tell their stories, have someone they admit to having helped them achieve that success if only by believing in them, loudly and persistently.

Every book, or article, I read on the subject of achieving success in business advocates finding a mentor.  How does one go about finding a mentor?  Have I written about this before?  It's a subject I think about constantly.

There was a time when I think I could have achieved much through blind ambition.  However, when I parted ways with my ex, a lot of that ambition seeped out of me.  She encouraged me more than I ever appreciated until it was gone.  She believed in me, loudly and persistently.  It wasn't blind praise, as much as an honest belief that I could achieve anything I put my mind to.

I do have many people who love me.  This does not discount that love in any way.

When I had my son and slipped into the depression I spoke about earlier, even what little ambition I had left dried up completely.  It was disheartening for me to be so apathetic, yet I couldn't find a way out of the apathy.

Now the old ambition is creeping back in, and I feel driven to achieve something more.  It is something I think about often, which is why I started this blog, and why I have been reading everything I can find on the subject.  I've always wanted to be a business owner, and that alone is the best part of what I do now, but I've never had a talent or skill I felt was marketable on my own.  Now, though, I have many ideas, but no idea on how to make them happen, or if they are even realistic or achievable.

This brings me back to the subject of mentors.  If this is truly the secret for those born without connections, how does one go about finding a mentor?  And more importantly, how does this relationship work?  What does the mentor expect in return?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Reina, I have a book for you to read. It's called "In Search of Meaning" by Victor Frankl. It is a secular book that many universities use for people who want to be social workers. In the intro, you will find the secret of success, guaranteed. The whole book is worth reading. I'm sure any book store can order it for you and possibly Amazon.com. Go for it, our poor little malcontent. Frank and Janet

Reina said...

I will order it! Thanks for the tip!