Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sabbath

I've been toying with the idea of keeping the sabbath.... again.

When I was a kid, we kept a Saturday sabbath.  The day was chock full of things we couldn't do, lest we break God's sabbath.  Therefore it was a day I dreaded all week long.  We kept the sabbath much like the Pharisees of the new testament.  It's no wonder I don't recall spending much time studying the parts where Jesus tried to lighten the burden.

Sunday was my favorite day of the week.  Sunday was a day of freedom!  Freedom from work, and freedom from God's oppressive rules.

Now I hang out with Christians that believe that there are no longer any rules at all.  Jesus came to fulfill the law, therefore all the commandments are "optional".  Everything is grace.  It does make Christianity easy!

However, I keep hearing a voice in my head repeating "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."  For me, this means God is trying to liberate me from all the work and stress that I deal with all week long.  One day of rest would be oh-so-good for me!  One day of not worrying about work or school or all of the myriad things I have to get done sounds way too good to be true!  A day to do only things I enjoy.  A day to take a break and relax.  That does sound restful, and decadent.  That sounds like something I could look forward to every week.

I'm pretty sure my son would love a whole day with my undivided attention.  Or my husband, for that matter.  And I would have a day to enjoy family and friends that I never get time to see.  And I might get to do things that I LIKE to do, like making things, taking a walk, or reading a book just for fun!

But it also worries me!  How could I ever get all the work done in six days that now takes me eight?  I mean, I am ALWAYS behind; getting just enough done to get by as it is.  My to-do list is a mile long, and growing!  What happens when I take a day off?  Every week?  That thought is terrifying!

Hence, the toying...  It sounds like something I WANT to do, but not something I CAN do.  Does that make sense?  Who has that kind of time?

(Plus, I'm still battling the demons of my childhood and all the horror of what sabbath is or isn't.  But we'll pretend that has nothing to do with this!)

2 comments:

Michael said...

What are the rules about sex on the sabbath?

Anonymous said...

Hi Reina,

It's your old Bible teacher here. The Sabbath is what we make it. If when you were young someone made it legalistic, it isn't the Sabbath's fault. The is made for man, but it wasn't made to be about ourselves. It's about Jesus. It's about having a date with Him once per week. There is no doubt in my mind that if you spent one day per week away for the humdrum of life to recharge yourself spiritually, you would accomplish all you need to accomplish during the week God works things out for us. Prove Him. Frank (I'll call soon.)