Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Patriotism, Politics, Inauguration

The inauguration was all over the news today, and with good reason.  Today will forever be remembered as an historic day.  Even without being an Obama supporter, I can appreciate the historic nature of this day.  One of the talk shows I subscribe to was talking about memorable presidents of the past, and the characteristics and achievements that made them memorable.  It made me appreciate where this country has been and how far it has come in a relatively short period of time.

I am proud to be an American.  There are times when I am embarrassed and saddened by the things Americans do.  There are times when I am angered by the stupid decisions my government makes.  There are times when I am frustrated by what a few corrupt, powerful people can get away with.  But overall, this is a great country, and I'm proud that I was born into it.

I am proud of the servicemen and women that defend my right to be embarrassed, or angry, or frustrated by what my fellow Americans do, as well as my right to say so. 

I am proud of the moments we have, as a country, where we pull together to accomplish a common goal, for the common good.

Today was an historic day.  Whether or not I agree with this new president's ideas or policies, I am glad that he has opened the door of possibility.  Hopefully we can use this victory to usher in a new age where leaders are chosen by their ability to lead, not by the color of their skin, their gender, or their long line of political forefathers.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Reading this, I couldn't help but think how these ideas could be a similar comparison to organized religion/the church and being a Christian.

Reina said...

Yay! You can leave a comment!
After re-reading the post, I can see what you mean. Thanks for pointing out the comparison.

trinlayk said...

give me an email address for Alexandra... I think best at 2 am...

Reina said...

I don't want to publish her e-mail address here, but if you send me an e-mail at reina@gamillah.net, I'd be happy to forward it to you. Otherwise, you can submit e-mail through Dan Lungren's website at https://forms.house.gov/lungren/forms/email.shtml.

I hope this is helpful!
Reina