Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Commercial Christmas

I'm getting burnt-out on the commercial focus of Christmas.  Growing up, my mother didn't believe in celebrating Catholic holidays, and therefore what I saw of Christmas was the view out the car window as we drove through town.  Even so, Christmas holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

My favorite Christmas song was, and still is, Silver Bells.  For me, that song embodied the spirit of Christmas.  (Lyrics here: www.41051.com/xmaslyrics/silverbells.html)  The idea of shoppers, amid the twinkling holiday lights, smiling at each other while sharing a moment of camaraderie because of a common goal was idyllic and romantic.  It was suffused with a feeling of community, joy, and giving.

However, since then, Christmas has become more of a chore.  I was hoping to restore some of the wonder of the season by seeing it through my son's eyes, but it appears that my cynicism and lack of wonder has worn off on him, instead.  The other day, while driving home, he told me he'd like to "not just celebrate Christmas, but also celebrate Jesus".  He said something along the lines of Jesus being born on this day and needing some mention.  I know he didn't get that idea from me.  It must have been from one of his Christmas CD's.

My focus has changed from finding the coolest gift that would best express how well I know and love the members of my family to how to most efficiently get through this month of "extra work". 

Knowing Christmas is only one week away, I have barely gotten my tree erected but it still lacks lights and ornaments.  I have wrapped no gifts (but I'm having a wrapping party, so I'm intentionally leaving it until then).  I have not even unpacked any of my other decorations and the only indication that this is December is the unfestive, humungous, artificial tree in my entryway.  I'm feeling a little outside of the "spirit of Christmas".

Every year I wonder how to get it back, and every year there doesn't seem to be time for the "spirit".  Maybe next year...

3 comments:

Breanna said...

That is so sweet that he said that. It is Definatly a chore now!

Michael said...

Maybe we should start next year by not using our fake tree and going up the hill and having Avery pick out a real tree.

Sue said...

Why don't you ask Avery where he got the celebrate Jesus thing?