Sunday, December 21, 2008

Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

I just finished Lee Iococca's book, Where Have All the Leaders Gone?  And I have to say, it struck a nerve.  For quite a while, I've been thinking the same thing.  Every four years we elect a president to lead the country, however we don't really elect a leader, but rather whoever best panders to the whims of the population.  Corporations don't seem to have leadership anymore, but rather compensation packages.

Throughout the book I was riled up.  If you haven't read it, you should.  But mostly I was thinking, why not me?  I think I have what it takes to be a leader.  I know some of you who know me will agree, and some will laugh.  Believe me, I know where I fall short.

I was born with a knack for working with people, common sense, more self-confidence than I deserve, a better-than-average intelligence, and a drive to be something.  What I lack is creativity, influential people, direction, and a mentor.

Every entrepreneurial how-to book or article I've read consistently says the same thing: Get a mentor.  How does a person go about doing that?  Throughout my life and working career I only ever once met a person I admired, who had any interest in furthering my career.  Even still, it was hard for me to treat him as a mentor even though I regarded him as such, because I didn't want to presume when he never came out and said as much.  After all, he was a VP and I was rank and file.  However, I did respect him a great deal, and even though I didn't keep in contact with him after leaving that job, I still smile when I think about him.

Even Iacocca himself admitted to getting where he was because of three great men in his life that acted as his mentors.

I want to be a leader.  I want to use whatever talent I have, and the skills I've learned, for something worthwhile.  How do I go about finding the person that can see what is possible, give advice, ask the tough questions, teach, and believe in me?  Is such a thing possible for everyone, or is that something reserved for the lucky?

No comments: