Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Employment Malcontent

This is the issue that started my blogging.  I posted it to my LiveJournal, but I think I'd rather keep that for private thoughts, and this for public.

It's been almost five years since I started my home child care.  I'm feeling the need to move on, but with few options.  I don't think I could go back to working in a cubicle after having the experience of being my own boss and doing as I please.  So what are my options?

I gave some thought (3 months of writing a business plan) to expanding my business into a child care center.  That would be a great use of the experience and education I've gained over the last five years.  I do have some great ideas on how a child care should be run, but without the desire to be down in the trenches myself.  I have a talent for managing a business, which would also put to good use the Business degree I worked for 12 years to acquire (working full time, going to school at night).  That seems like a plausible plan, except for the need for huge amounts of capital to get started.  That is a little out of my reach at the moment.

So, how about an online resource that will make all the experience and education I have available to others?  How much work and knowledge would I need to put together an online resource webpage for other providers?  I don't know the first thing about web design.  I do have some ideas of what the content should consist of.  Maybe I'll start detailing those ideas here, just so as not to lose the thread.  

I'd really love to know why I can't seem to last at any one thing for longer than five years, though.  My husband has been happily doing the same job for the ten years I've known him.  His circumstances have changed slightly in those ten years, but the job has been the same.  I think he'd happily continue for another ten without complaint.  And he's good at it.  So why do I get this attack of wanderlust at the five year mark?  This has been a pretty consistent pattern for me.  How can I succeed if I can't find something I can be totally happy with for longer than that?  

No comments: