Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Great Friends

I chatted with a long-time friend yesterday that I haven't spoken to in a few months.  It was great to hear from him, and catch up a little on what's going on in his life.  After a somewhat short conversation where he told me about his new job, and then gave me pointers for my resume, we promised to keep in touch, and signed off.

Just before that conversation, I'd gotten a phone call from another friend who had been reading my blog, and thinking of me.  I had playfully guilted her into reading it after spending all day Sunday with her and my sister making tamales for Christmas.

And shortly after signing off, another friend dropped by to borrow my computer to upload some photos from a cd to a photo-printing website.  It was great to see her and talk about the little things going on in our lives at the moment.  I don't see her very often, so it was nice that she thought of me first when she needed to use a computer!

And then, a couple of days ago I ran into someone I haven't seen since summer.  It was a chance meeting at Mervyn's, checking out the last-minute-before-closing-forever deals.  It was cool to see her, just to say hello.  My son had just been talking about her family that very day.  It was very weird timing, but very cool.

For a very unChristmasy season, I've been reminded several times in just a few days that I am surrounded by friends.  And not only that I have great friends, but friends that are still good friends even when they don't hear from me on a regular basis.  That is truly a rare gift.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think those are some of the ways that God speaks to you. He does listen to your heart and brings you 'reminder' gifts like those.

Reina said...

Thank you for the comment. I think it takes special effort to "hear" the way God speaks. Thank you for reminding me.

Christy said...

True friends can go months without contact and know that when they connect, it's like no time passed...there's no "you haven't called me," only "I've missed you!" :)