Friday, December 26, 2008

Family

Christmas is over, and although it got off to a shaky start, the day ended up being perfect representation of what this holiday means to me.  From 8 am to 8 pm I was surrounded by family.

My sister and her husband came to my house to do our annual stocking exercise.  This part of Christmas was almost cancelled this year, in my decidedly un-Christmas attitude, and a desire to not spend recklessly on stuff we neither want nor need but fits the criteria of "stocking stuffer".  Thankfully, my husband objected to that plan, and we agreed on a compromise of not purchasing useless filler junk, but rather thoughtfully selecting things we hoped were useful, or little things that we use every day anyway.  The idea was not to spend money on things that would ultimately end up in the trash within days.  I think we succeeded, and although we probably still spent more than we should have, it was worth it to not miss this part of Christmas morning.

We also use this time to exchange our gifts to each other, so my sister and husband went home to play with her new wii fit while we went to my husband's parent's home to exchange gifts with them.  This is ultimately where we spent the rest of the day.  My husband's parents also hosted his aunt, uncle, cousins AND dinner, so we spent the rest of the day there.  My sister and her husband joined us there for dinner in the early afternoon and stayed until the end of the day.

For the first time in a long time (my memory is shaky, so this could have been last year) the whole family was able to spend much of the day together.  This included my husband's brother and his wife and kids, his sister and her husband and kids, and my sister and her husband.  For some reason, I don't remember the logistics of that happening in quite some time.   It was nice.

We even managed a cursory salute to Jesus for my son (although I think he'd moved on from his thought of celebrating Jesus, because he didn't seem overly impressed) with a reading of the birth story in Luke, and a hilarious "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake made by his grandmother.

So, thank you to my family for making time to be together.  It is ultimately what makes this day special for me.

3 comments:

Michael said...

The magnum condoms you put in my stocking were a little too small for me, but I guess it's the thought that counts here.

Christy said...

LMAO
it's ok if those end up in the garbage! Just use them first :P
PS I just realized Michael made a joke! Huzzah!

Steel Curtain said...

Yeah, that was nice and I'm glad we did stocking stuffers. I think it would not seem like X-mas without doing stockings. So, next year looks like stocking stuffers are in, so we have a whole year to pick up useful stuff. Keep that in the back of your mind when going on vacation or cool stores (craft fairs, etc).