Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Last Lecture

I just finished the book  by that title.  I know, I'm way behind the curve, and everyone has heard, seen, or read about the last lecture.  And yes, although I had heard about the book and the lecture via Oprah, I hadn't gotten around to reading the book or seeing the lecture.

One of my clients was nice enough to get me the book as a Christmas gift.  I have to say, if you haven't read the book, you should.  The chapters are really, really short.  It's perfect for a bathroom book, if that's the only time you get to yourself!

The reason I love the book is the reason why so many people were drawn to it, I guess.  It is so full of optimism.  There are many great points he makes in the book.  I've listed some of my favorites here.

It's a good thing when someone is willing to tell you how you're screwing up.  It means they haven't given up on you.
People are more important than things.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
A bad apology is worse than no apology.
Tell the truth.  All the time.
With rights come responsibility.  Be a communitarian.
Make a decision: Tigger or Eeyore.

On a side note, he makes mention of a line in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium that only reinforced my idea that it's a great movie.  Probably not in the way most people think of great movies, but rather a movie that makes you think.

I think the point of the book, and why it struck so many, was that he lived his whole life as if every day mattered.  Then when he was told he was going to die, it wasn't a stretch for him to finish with a bang.  There are some great lessons to be learned.  Like me, some might be something you already subscribe to, and some of it might be new.  All of it is worth reminding yourself.

1 comment:

Steel Curtain said...

Well, pass on the book. I don't think reading it in the bathroom will work for me :-) I had a teacher that had a saying and would say this every time the class was over "live every day as it was your last". That really stuck with me, but somehow I wondered off that path :-)