Friday, December 5, 2008

Mr. Magorium

I'm sitting with my son watching Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium for the second time.  If you haven't seen it, it's a story about a magic man who owns a magic toy store, and a young girl who just wants to BE something.  All of her life she's worked in the store, and believed in the magic of it.  All of her life she's been told she has potential, and she's frustrated because she doesn't feel like she's realizing any of it.  

(Ha!  Just writing that, I see why I relate to her.)

The story is about believing in magic, but the crux of it is that she doesn't believe in herself.

I can't even explain all the nuance of the story, nor the magic in the story.  But there is a line in the movie which prompted this post.  

On Mr. Magorium's last day, as the girl tries to convince him not to leave, he tells her...

"Your life is an occasion, rise to it."

The movie goes on, and there is beauty in the remainder of it, but that phrase struck me.  It struck me the first time I heard it, and I had to write it down.  It struck me again tonight.

There is so much I'm missing.  So much potential I know I'm not realizing.  So much more that I want to do and be.  Yet I wonder what it would be like to live as if every day was an occasion.  As if all that was necessary to fulfill every dream was to rise to the occasion.

No comments: